Tuesday 20 June 2017

Back from Holidays


Hi all.  I am back on the job. It was really good to have a break, and a long one at that. Many said "you're taking how long?"  As I work with the people in the remote areas I find there is little space for them to take time out. One of the messages we spread is: getting away, doing other things you enjoy, even for a short time, which is often for many, even hard to do. For them the cost and who will look after the farm business is a worry.  I was getting stale so, Lyn had some leave, I had lots of leave,  off we went. As driving in NSW is work fof me, we headed north. We drove to Mt Isa, across to Charters Towers then back down to St George for a restful few days, including a cruise on the Balonne River.

The Balonne River on a sunset cruise 
I talked to many people on the trip. We did a couple of farm tours, one at Charleville and the other at Charters Tours. The first was linked to the Caravan Park,  where the owner also worked off site at Department of Primary Industries. He was able to share a lot of resources, which will be handy for the Murray Darling Basin group if we do the top part of the river system. The other farm was a Longhorn  Cattle Stud in Charters Towers. Both areas are affected by the drought that won't go away so had to reinvent  themselves -  running tours and events on the property - and both were very interesting . I found many towns that had sought to stop the travelling public in their town.  It is a way to bring badly needed $$s into the tills of local business and jobs for town folk and young people. 

Dog proof fences for Bilby enclosure  

Some Long Horn calves above 
Well the coming months will be busy. We have The Field days at Dubbo 26-29th  August then MDB tour 2nd-10th Sept. Bookings are open for that - looking at the lower Murray river System and I have put a link at bottom of blog. I will also give you more details of the Field day as I get them.  Then Synod will be held in Sydney. 
I also will be working with those in the dry areas and fire affected areas and those starting to see the light. As chaplains we stay connected, by building connections and growing relationships through visiting and talking to those we meet along the way. The schools are still keen for me to visit as I pass through their area and be part of their life. I also found a new school at Big camp and am going to see them at some stage.  Well I look forward to bringing you more from the Rural Chaplain  Travels.  


Lyn reading the information on ground at Julia Creek Info Centre
   
Lark Quarry area

Longreach river cruise at sunset
My holiday worked - I was able to empty myself of the stress that had built up, relax and refresh. Letting God's creation be a healing tonic for you is a great way to find your way back - no drugs - just the ever changing views as you travel through the Outback. Sunrises and sunsets, the red earth, shapes of hills and creek beds and of course, good company and coffee.

https://ucansw.goregister.com.au/mdbtours2017/info/

Don't forget our Face Book page. I put short stories and photos on there. 
The reading this week from Matthew 9: talks about the harvest being ready. We need workers. Your prayers and support help me go out  into the field. I just had a bit of a set back on my plans I will be having a visit to Newcastle Eye Hospital as I have a operation on the back of my eye plus cataracts done time off  isnot known Prayers please.    Shalom and thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


View My Stats