Friday 22 January 2016

The bitter/sweet of moving


Darcy and I on the Lachlan River

As some of you have now gathered just before Christmas I moved back to Bathurst to my home here. I was finding it very hard to be so far from my family, especially my two gorgeous grandchildren.
Even though I was excited about coming to Bathurst the leaving was very hard. After 7 ½ years in Hillston I have many things to be thankful for. In a place with only 1000 people it is not all that difficult to know a significant number of the residents. Walking into any of the shops or banks you are greeted by name and sometimes it can take a long while to grab a few groceries as you stop and chat lots.

As well as knowing lots of people superficially I also made many good friends whom I miss a lot. Luckily phone communications are quite cheap these days, and I love having a skype “cuppa” with other friends.

Unfortunately I had to leave my dog Darcy in Hillston as I was unsure of my work circumstances here in Bathurst. However, he is with Jenny and Joe and they love him to bits so I know he will be well cherished and looked after.

And the other great loss is the Lachlan River and kayaking with good friends. Still looking for a good place to go here.

On the other hand I love being near my family here. It’s been a long time since the boys and my daughter-in-law could just drop in for a chat. Sarah and her family are only 3 hours away and I’m seeing more of them also.

The Uniting Church here has been very welcoming with invitations to meals and including me in things. As you can imagine it is a much bigger congregation with a number of multicultural members which is lovely. I’m slowly learning a few names. There are some other things in Bathurst not available in Hillston and tonight I am going to join a choir, which I am very much looking forward to.
As my work is changing with a big emphasis on linking city and country Bathurst is a good mid-way point, but I’ll write more on this in another blog.


So it has been a bitter/sweet move but I think we are so blessed that wherever we go there are others of God’s family with open welcoming arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


View My Stats