Friday 23 January 2015

The Next Step

Rain rolling in across the West

As the Christmas cards came down, so did the rain here in Narrabri! We got good initial rain and had some follow up falls.
As I readied myself to head out I made some calls to Jo and Lou. They found some big pools of water out Byrock way, plus green grass along the road. Ellen Day from DPI* Broken Hill backed up Dave the Flying Pastor, also out of Broken Hill, that some people out there got  round  around 12 inches, "I'll be in the office for a week or so." said Ellen.





So it is over. Cattle prices gone through the roof at Tamworth, all great news! But is it over? 

What's the next step?
I talked to Catherine and Nat,the folks we did a Pamper Day with, just up the road from these clouds above.They have had very little rain. The storms missed them.Storm rain is so cruel,  one station can get 12 inches, next door stays dry. Severe rainfall deficiencies occurred across the north west and northern tablelands during the last 18-24 months. It has been called a 1 in 50 year event.

Hermidale Pamper Day 



What next?
I hear some feeling it has rained, so lets move on. This is a move we often make as a society. Quickly move on. The front page news is the bird cage liner in a short time. I love to hear that all is well but some did not get any rain.
Stock prices are through the roof. This means re stocking. This is buying in new cows or sheep as many had to sell or shoot their herds. Some got them to other places for agistment* but sadly many did not so they have to rebuild but history shows us this weather pattern could just swing back to dry for farmers.This is their lives.
So next step is there is only cricket and tennis on TV and I have had time with the children and grand children during the holiday season. It's time to check up on some people I met last year.  BJ's been home so long he is missing Danny and Vicky, the kennel owners. The camera's getting rusty! I was so twitchy I even found the manual for the camera and found out what other tricks it does. So as I start a new year I ask you to keep praying for us and the wonderful  farmer families, the truck drivers and shop keepers, rural support workers and all those who live and work in bush; that they can keep on having a go.


Pamper Day at Hermidale 
Food from the donations 


These photos from are the Uniting Care Dubbo, Drought Team. I was not at this one.It was an all female thing. We used  packs from NENW fellowship and they loved them too.

During coming months we will decide whether to do more of this or work on other areas of their lives.





We thank you as always for your comments.

Rural Chaplain Phill Matthews.

*DPI  - Department of Primary Industries
*Agistment - Moving stock to a property which has feed for them when your own property does not.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


View My Stats