Friday 7 February 2014

Phill's Snap Shots in Broken Hill - Part 2 -Being there and on the way home.

The rest of my time was spent with Rev.Will Pearson and some old friends - Rev. Ian Tucker and Rev Graham Mc Grail, who were in town for Jo Smalbil’s Ordination. She’s our newest Rev and is going to Cobar.
Jo Smalbil's ordination service
One of the main things I do when not at meetings or events, is to talk to local Ministry agents, if they're open to it; giving them a place to unload or just talk about life.
As a Rural chaplain I am independent and it means it is not just their life partner that has to deal with any frustrations or listen to their planning. Most of all it’s companionship on their journey of working in remote areas, work that can be hard and lonely. I do the same with Tracey and others and I have offered Jo the same as a new Minister. She has support in many formal ways but what I offer is different.
One of my other goals in going West was to meet with the new Department of Primary Industries worker just starting in Broken Hill. It turned out she was part of the Far West Legal Services management committee. She is planning some work on the road in the same week I’ll be here for Jo’s induction.
                                                     Our God works in great ways!
 Here are some more –

As I headed out on my own up the Silver City Hwy about 20ks out I stopped and made some lunch and was eating same when a ute pulled up. Rusty was a worker with an earth works contractor. We talked about the drought and he told me of his life from aged 15 working in the bush on properties and mines.
 “It’s never been as bad as now,” he said, “Tanks empty” (“Tanks” are dams. Once passed a spot on the map they change name from dams to tanks. It’s a measure of how far out you are.)


This is part of my work. I love the random connections I make. People see the Rural Chaplain signs and stop for a chat in the caravan park. I had a number stop and just talk but it was now time to head the rig East and start back. In a great few days-new friends met and old friendships built on.

I think as the Church we often do not remember that in building God’s Kingdom we have to start by engaging with the people God sends our way in a real way. I believe when people see us living out our faith in the everyday -like building honest, open relationships, that meet people where they are, listening to them rather than telling them what is wrong with them and seeking out common ground if they need support.

 Ask, if you can you help, don’t just take over. Remember the important thing is that God loves you for who you are. Love them for who they are. As God loves you, so love them and allow it to grow at their pace not yours. IF you can’t, don’t. Get someone who can and pass them on.Not all have the same gift. Seek out yours and understand it and seek those in your church who can complement so together you can reach out to your community and build partnerships and relationships. 
                                  Is that not how you came to know our loving Christ?
The other thing is- you never know what your meeting may plant in others. We do not always get to see the outcome but we all have a part to play in the journey.
Did anyone say emus?

Phill

PS -I did also get some time with Will to wander up some dry creeks and take the odd 700 shots of trees, sand and emus and we did some off road sight-seeing too."






No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


View My Stats