Friday 31 January 2014

Phill's Snap Shots of Broken Hill - Part 1- On the way to Broken Hill and being there.

In Phill's blog we see in detail how the chaplain's do their work of building connections -piece by piece, person by person,organisation by organisation - until the right time comes, something needs doing, and the connections are there ready for action. This first blog shows you a little of the travelling life style of the Rural Chaplain.

December 2013
"As the year came to an end I was eager to make good catching up with the folk I met out West in Broken Hill and Cobar. It turned out that a number of events important to a number of the relationships I had been growing with some awesome folk from the Far West of our state came together over a few days at  the beginning  of December.

Street parade -Broken Hill 
Going out West meant I needed a good few days to do it as I think visiting, when possible, should not just be a quick “Hello-Goodbye”. I know some times that may be all we have time for, but in relationship building quality, I believe, is the key and that can take time.
The rest is simple- honest,open relationship- open to both of you to offer up building blocks for the relationship to grow on.

In other words - use your ears more than your mouth and respect each other; be there when you say; call if you’re going to be late. The honesty is to be yourself- do not try to be someone else.


Dry creek bed near Broken Hill

 I travelled to Cobar via Bourke. Friends- we need to keep praying for rain for those areas from Barren Junction, out Walget, Brewarrina and beyond, down to Broken Hill.
My trip was from warm to hot but a good air-con is great! As I pulled up in a parking area for the night it was 42C - at 7pm!  I found shade, opened windows and did some photography for a while till darkness fell. The night was hot but sleep was sound.
Then it was back on the road for the run down to Broken Hill.

I spent the next 4 days mixing with the workers and management of Far West Legal Services and Warra-Warra Legal Service. Their AGM, on my first night, was such an uplifting time as the services which cover court work and fair trade, as well as Domestic Violence, human rights and housing had all grown. The staff had gone through some hard times but had come out helping the people of the Far West.
The AGM was opened by a welcome to country and as part of that Danny, one of the workers, played his Didg. It was, for me, a highlight. His dance and playing reminded me of the spiritual life that has moved in this land long before we came.

Festival of Respect section of the BH parade.
Tracy, who is the CEO, and I, first met at a meeting in Bourke. I liked what her service was trying to do and she liked the fact that the Uniting Church also stood for much of what she was trying to do, so as we say ,”If you’re ever in Broken Hill, look me up.” and I did! I also attended their market stall and gave out some Beyond Blue info.
Afterwards we met for coffee and a 'save the world"chat.I listened to her journey over the past 4 months,setting up a Festival of Respect which will run for 3 months.

The Festival was part of the Broken Hill Christmas parade, then piggybacked on some other events and added a few of their own, covering Human Rights,White Ribbon day and much more.
                                         I hope to be back this year for the closing events.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


View My Stats