Wednesday 17 October 2012

Hillston Hospitality

When Helen Miller-Brown came to town to conduct research for her Masters Degree in Adult Environmental Education, the experience of the interviews gave the farmers an opportunity to tell their story.   On her last night in Hillston, Helen told us that she was in awe of the farmers’ love for their land and how environmentally aware they are. They are caring for their land in constantly changing conditions with a view to handing it on in a better state for the next generation. The commitment to their land and tenacity in finding ways to learn and adapt to changing conditions is inspiring.


Helen views an irrigation channel with a local farmer


We asked Helen herself to comment on her time in Hillston.

“When I first decided to do this study I was concerned how I would find the farmers and once I had, would they talk to me?
Sue helped out with this. She found farmers and community members who were willing to be interviewed. Sue organized a broad cross section of farmers; from cropping and grazing, size of farms, age and wealth of interviewees.
Julie looked after me while I was in Hillston conducting the interviews. I can recommend her as a B&B as well as lunch and dinner.
Although there were only two and a half days of interviewing, due to the long distance of Hillston from Sydney, I was away Monday to Friday. Despite the intensity it was a wonderful and uplifting experience. The honesty of the farmers and members of the community is appreciated and I thank them for their integrity and courage. The generosity of spirit and good humour displayed made me feel sincerely welcome. I came away from Hillston thinking it is the best place in the world, and also with a sense of responsibility to do the right thing by the people who trust me with their story.
Now as I sit and begin the task of writing the thesis I am humbled by these stories and hope I can do them justice. This month I am attending a conference at the University of New England where I look forward to having the opportunity to share these stories with some of my fellow adult education researchers. Bit by bit let us hope justice is done for everyone.”
                                                                                                        Helen Miller-Brown
                        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


View My Stats