Monday 30 March 2009

There's always a surprise around the corner!

Today I had lunch with some of the locals in Louth and during the course of the conversation they mentioned the obelisk at the cemetery, so of course I went to the cemetery to take a look. Imagine my surprise to see the 8M high obelisk! And this in a cemetery that only has 11 marked graves. A small group of locals are trying to raise money to put up a plague with the names of those who are buried there but no-one knows exactly where.

As it's unclear where the graves are (it is a very old private cemetery with graves going back to the 1840's) if they are burying someone it's a case of digging a hole and if you find it is already occupied, then fill it in and dig another one.

I very much enjoyed the 100km from Louth to Bourke as I haven't been here since before the summer rains. The land is now covered in green grass. Of course the water also caused damage to bridges etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


View My Stats