Saturday 31 January 2009

Dried Up Farmers



"You must be used to dealing with dried up farmers." was a statement made to me at Murrami last Friday evening. While I have met many farmers that are affected by the on going drought in south eastern Australia I had never heard it expressed in this manner.
I believe that this man was saying that the drying of the land had also had the effect of drying out the spirits, emotions and hope of the people who were affected. The dryness renders a brittle facet to the lives of people. It made me think about the many metaphors shaped around water that are used in the Bible and other works.
The movie night at Murrami was dry and hot. The storms that threatened in the east did not come and there was a special sense of peace among the people this night.

Kel Hodge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


View My Stats