Wednesday 24 December 2008

The Night the Train Ran and the Yellerbellies Sang



You may have already guessed from the title that the place where all this happened was in Fords Bridge just 70k. north west of Bourke NSW. Well maybe not. It was my first visit to Ford's Bridge last Saturday and I must say I am glad I made the journey.
Fords Bridge has a pub and a hall and not much else in the way of permanent structures. I was to learn that Fords Bridge does have a vibrant community life and a proud tradition of Christmas celebrations.
I estimate there were about two hundred people at Fords Bridge that night. Many of the children enjoyed a ride on the community train which headed in the direction of Bourke whilst blowing much smoke. I must say that the word train is used with license as you may see from the posted photo. Of course Santa arrived and the children received gifts and instructions about what they must do for the coming year.
I assisted with the bbq and learnt from John and Ted that Fords Bridge is like many other small communities in the west. That is to say, they are trying with all their might to preserve a sense of identity and promote community spirit. These are pretty good goals to work towards and I wish Fords Bridge all the best for 2009.
The adults indulged in food and libations that were complemented by the music of the Yellerbellies, a Bourke band, who sadly were performing for the last time. The band members are mainly Bourke school teachers. Two of the band members were leaving to take up other positions.
The Yellerbellies performed on the back of Andrea's( the local publican) camel trailer. "Andrea is a camel lover", said Ted. I did not see her camels although I believe they are much deserving of love as are all of us on God's wonderful earth!

Kel Hodge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


View My Stats