Friday 17 April 2015

What We Need is Rain - Good Soaking Rain.



Rain on the Breeza plains

As I hit the road in late January I found areas of good crops and high stock prices. The storm rain had brought hope, some got big numbers, as I said in my last blog, but for many it was low and others, none. 
I joined with the Uniting Care Burnside Drought team and as before Christmas, I was down to one working leg. My knee had chucked a wobbly but using our car I was mobile and I had to tidy up some connections as I was heading for a new knee in March.


                                                       

Farm visits give you a good chance to 1) hear the story and 2)more importantly, build a good relationship and see the land. It's still dry. The crop is off but it was average.  We need some good rain to get some moisture in the sub soil and in the tanks. To make it worse, the roos (cute) eat feed for the stock and knock down fences (not cute.)


"So what has been done to improve life for stock?" I asked one farmer.
"I've tapped into a water supply below. We have a 3 way water trough- this gives more options when tanks or dams dry up."

Farmers are adding these improvements to build drought proofing for their land. The sheep are doing well but without good rain the hot summer winds will dry up the feed so stock will go backwards. There will be no planting as the soil contains no sub-soil moisture. Any seed would only die if planted.




For some storms came. 
Around Narrabri and Gunnedah we had good rain. But storm rain is also likely to bring hail, which hit our home town, A number of friends had damaged homes and now have tarps on but the rain has fallen and brought minor flooding of low land and roads.
In the three weeks I was a way in hospital I got 75 ml left in my gauge.The van took a few hits for the team, saving the work car damage. But sadly the other thing with storm rains, it hits and misses areas. The ones in the dry zone have for the most part had very little rain, so they continue to wait .

                                

What praying can you do?

Keep praying for rain.
Support country towns on holidays by spending money in shops and servos. This helps keep them alive. Motels and Caravan Parks use local people to service their work  places.
Little things like giving to appeals all help. Your few dollars go back into the community and we do not see empty shops and no jobs. 

We work with all people from rural areas. We listen, we act in faith. Thank you for your support from all those we have helped with many areas of life. As we are not tied to one thing, we can help with most of what we are asked to do as we visit from place to place.

       Matthew says these words from Jesus. "For as much as you do for them, you do for me.
I tell people this comes from the people of the Uniting Church, their friends and those who just care. We don't do flashy hand outs- often it is a bill paid. The stories are not for us to share.

       Who cares? God cares and so do you. Thank you for your trust and your faithfulness.

                So I pass to you the smile, the hug, the nod and the silent look of thanks.   

    
 PS - I had few days away from the road but I'm passed the meds and brain is working.
I have my daily work outs and visits to the physio. 

Slowly I'll be back.

God bless you all,
Phill.


* Note - Apologies to Hillston -Merriwagga locals - of course, it was not Roma but Lorna, in the photo last week. The mistake has been corrected- Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


View My Stats