Friday 30 May 2014

Come-by-Chance?? - The Forgotten Drought?


 As we drove out along a new bit of road, heading to the Pilliga and Beyond, that was also the head line for the Country Hour on ABC radio. It was talking about the very places we were heading too, I say ‘we’ because Lyn was with me on this sortie, looking for a place to run an event but most of all to see where God was leading.

I wondered what the fuss was about.
I drive through the Walget shire on the way to many of our places. This year I’m looking at making some connections. ( No- the new coffee shop in Walget is not the reason - but it is a good one. ) As we passed by the water holes and green stock root I wondered what the fuss was… BUT “Hey, rain and green grass does not mean it is over- the drought that is!”

We came through the Pilliga township with its healing spa, vans and buses. RV’s of every kind filled the paddock. The village itself has a hotel, a café and community centre, a house and a Police station on a nice sealed road.
Where too next?
Out to the Junction? Or a place I had trouble saying, let alone adding it to this blog ? *
So I took a chance and drove straight up the unsealed road.
The tar was gone. It was red dirt and gravel but as we got further it was black soil with old gullies in it. The country changed too - dry, a lot less feed, flat and open for miles. As we rounded the bend we thought of cold drinks.
We missed the first turn in, took the second, passed a construction site (I’ll get back to that.) We were in the main street of “Come By Chance"


A single pump stood frozen it time. In faded paint the sign said “ICE. “
We both went in,
”Hi.”
There was a welcome from behind the fixtures. We had a good yarn and ice cold beer (ginger)
 “How’s things?”
 “We need rain “
“Yes, I see that.”
 I asked about what happened here for fun.
The big screen TV. People come down to watch the footy and big events. It was new. Ann had only been running the store / pub for 8 months but what went on was- and this is where the construction comes in - the young fellas collected batteries from around the district, cashed them in to put down a slab, or should I say a pitch, in the middle of a manicured oval. (See the picture. Close one eye- now you see.)

Now you see it - now you don't
I love the fact that these small villages or locations, only 5 houses in town but a good few on the properties, come together and make things happen. I have been thinking of doing a drought event in conjunction with a few good folk. (More about that when we make it happen.)
              People ask-“How do you work out where you do these events, programs etc.? 
It is not by chance. God leads us. We may do some research or get a call for help, but for me, how it ends is from God. 
There was no sign telling us.
I had heard the name at a drought event in Walget a few weeks before but was led to stop and go into the pub. Connection made.  Stories shared. It all felt right. The need is there in this small location on a dirt road.

Not by chance.
Friends, remember these folk in your prayers. I worry when we all see rain and green grass and we are lulled into thinking it is all OK.  But some will not get income till next year and got very little, if any, this year.  They are resilient. They go and collect batteries and build a cricket pitch. They make fun for their kids and get together to watch the footy on a big screen TV!
Community!
                    For as much as you do this for the least, you do it for me. Matthew 25:40

The last blog I wrote was about the Murray Darling Basin Bus Tour 1 September to the 7thTo get more information or leave an expression of interest or Register enter this link to your search line   ucansw.goregister.com.au/mdbtours2014   and follow the prompts.  

* Gwabegar (Pronounced  Wa-bee-garr)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


View My Stats