Friday 21 February 2014

"For as much as you do this for the least, you do it for me”

Jo's Induction, Cobar.
Hi!..... Just back from a run out West, which covered meetings in Weilmoringle and an Induction service for Rev. Jo Smalbil , at Cobar. I also did a short run to Bankstown to see my mentor and friend, Rev Neil Smith retire.

 In the Western part of the state is where I joined a DPI Road Show, this was nightly BBQ with a Men’s Health focus. This was the most informative talk I have ever had the pleasure to be at. An average of 30 people attended from 7-to ….well…. as late as 2.30am!.... but an average of 12 pm !
The tour covered many small villages around Bourke and the Queensland border. As I had to go to Sydney I did the Weil, Enngonia and Louth section. The Road Show took the form of a BBQ, then a talk by Steve Carroll, our health worker. It was aimed at the people of the land and their communities and it was hilarious!


                  But …Back to the Drought......


Bourke - " Grey as far as I could see"
I had not been in some places since before Christmas and one I never been to before. The land is grey for as far as I could see. Even the trees had lost their colour with grey looking leaves! Many had big limbs lying at angles from the trunk, some fallen over with the wind.  Stock were in rows eating from the line of whatever they had been given, hay or cotton seed; others hung close to the road under trees for shade. The temperature gauge in the car said 42c at 3pm in the afternoon!

Creeks and dams were empty, dry or muddy. The emus looking, and poor roos, still looking, at 11 am, for water and food.  This is what you see from Coona to Cobar up to Bourke out to Bree and Louth.  The radio tells of a new plan that will come. The farmers say,” Yes, well, we did all we could.Sold last November all but the breeders. Low interest loans, freight costs covered back to January” and on it goes.

"I hope it does rain!" -  Planting in hope.
What do we, as Chaplains, do in these situations?
Pray for rain every day and for people we meet
Go to meetings with stake holders and listen. Allow those who need a space to vent their feelings of frustration a place outside the home and work space.
Talk to staff sent out with very little to offer the communities and others who bring speakers and pass on a message and pamper packs.
It’s also a time to get together, laugh and talk.

In most places, later in the night we expressed the need to keep talking to each other and people are always thankful for us coming, taking the time. I was made to feel part of the groups wherever we went.

Sheep sometimes have to work hard to find feed.


Also at the Weil group I was told , ”It would rain soon!”
“OK? “
 “Well -you see the moon…. ?
“Yes, and so…. ?”
“So,..…..saw a porcupine * walking,  or smelt a dead kangaroo on the wind”
I add, ”Yes, my knee hurts”.

We all laugh but “Hey, it rained 3 days later -20-40mm………. Hmm ?!"





Not Over yet!

Last thing –
I was in Sydney. It poured down and it rained all the way up the New England but as I pulled into the Narrabri Shire it was 33 c at 4.30pm ,dry and blue skies. We only got 17 mm in the old rain gauge others got more. What I am saying is -Do not think that just because it rains where you are, or even up here it is all OK  (it’s a help but not an end.)

We need your prayer and government help as we work our way forward.

"It 'll take years." 

Remember the two kinds of rain? – dams, creeks and ground then follow up? We need both kinds and winter warmth so growth can occur, no frost to burn the grain. Farmers need to find feed for stock and to buy stock back. It will take years. Even if we have good years they still have to pay back all they owe the banks and shops, rural and retail rates,BILLS ,wages if you can get someone to work for you.
It will take time to recover but with your prayer and support it will happen.

What can you do?
Buy holidays in Australia, drink coffee, eat cake in the smaller towns …..”For as much as you do this for the least, you do it for me”
This was the text for the close of my friend’s service and it fits the situation I am describing.  

You have the power to help by shopping, holidaying and praying.
It’s not much to save a way of life for our neighbours across the breadth of this land.
To finish- 
3,155 km of dirt, dust and flies.
Am I tired?
Yes, I am.
                     It was it worth it.


The Darling -still pretty but slowing to a stop.


Every moment, from the plains to the mountains and in the city, God has been at work.
            
Shalom,
Phill

* Aboriginal people in NSW use the word “porcupine” when referring to the echidna.

1 comment:

  1. How I Got My Loan From A Genuine And Reliable Loan Company

    I am Mrs.Irene Query i was in need of a loan of $150,000 and was scammed by those fraudulent lenders and a friend introduce me to Dr Purva Pius,and he lend me the loan without any stress,you can contact him at (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Approvals within 2-4 Hours

    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Visitors


View My Stats