Friday 31 May 2013

Phill continues His Rural Chaplain Adventures




Since I last wrote I have been doing lots of foundational work chasing up things like cards connecting to the internet and a land line. Narrabri UCA has been so helpful in all this.

 I’ve been out and about to Balata and Moree, including doing an ANZAC day service at Balata, a small but friendly, village between Narrabri and Moree. This was a great day. Lyn and I marched down from the school to the hall for the wreath laying ceremony, followed by lovely cup of tea and some Anzac biscuits. We also had Sunday morning fellowship after I spoke at Gunnedah UCA.

Tuesday May 14th-Julie and I heard of a Forum in Bourke regarding Murdi Paaki, a service that runs programs for Aboriginal people across the western area of the state and in a number of the villages. Julie has done some programs and as she was tied up and I had some cancellations, I said I’d go.

Now to get ready-
“Right- need accommodation- as too far to hook up van for an overnight, plus I have no time to drop it off.'      BJ also needed to find somewhere so I rang his new home- away- from- home.
“Was it possible for them to pick him up this afternoon?”
“No problem”, and then 6 calls later had a room for me!

Vicky from the kennels pulled up to the kerb, BJ knew she was here before she got out of the car.  His excitement was extreme. His whole body was transformed into a puppy. For an old dog it was so cool! I had to get the tablets he needs -old football injury. By the time I got back he was on his way to the ute. As Vicky opened the car door, he was in like a flash, sitting up on the back seat like royalty- no goodbye !

I returned to pack and get the car ready for the sojourn- food for the road, water- always good to use bottled water as it saves that chances of drinking water upsetting your system, fuel up, water, oil, tyres , hook up the gadgets (GPS and CB Mobile) -ready for an early start next morning.

The Forum was very good.
 Looking at many issues affecting communities, it also looked at how organizations can work with Aboriginal people with respect. There was a good mixture of service providers and community members and some Government reps. I made some good contacts to follow up in times to come.

The trip home was excellent.
The water hole, which was flooded last trip, was now full of caravans. Two drover’s dogs, worked their mob of cows, who roamed across the road for about a kilometre. As I drove slowly through this mob I got some shots; dark clouds building up over still-dry Walgett, a rainbow near Burren Junction, wet road lit by the sun, the spray of the passing cars looking surreal in the mirrors, then the storm, more rainbows and  sun highlighting the silos. Just on dark two big roos, on the way to Wee Waa Dance party, crossed in front of the Camry!


Keeping eyes open, stopping for photos, checking things out, helps me as I drive this big country thinking of what you can do here!

BJ came home next morning and said “G’day” as if he’d never been away.   He’s now lost 4 kilograms and is a new dog. I’ve lost 8 kgs. This flat country means we can walk when I’m home.

Well- time for coffee !
  
           As Pentecost is upon us-

May the Spirit of the living God travel with you!


                                                                 Phill Matthews- Rural Chaplain


1 comment:

  1. And may the spirit of God travel with you too! Lovely rainbow pic!

    ReplyDelete

Visitors


View My Stats