Friday 19 April 2013

Phill's First 10 days


Hi All,
            What a week was! 
After all the waiting it was time to start and we kicked it off with a Induction service at Narrabri Uniting 23rd March . The heavens opened and the rain came down all Friday and early Saturday, the sun came out in time for lunch and what a lunch !
 The service was led by Rev Jean Bell, Simon preached, Lyn did the bible reading and I sat on a chair and was blessed. Julie and I promised to be good. The people of Narrabri promised to love and care for us and the Presbytery said they’d keep me in line. I got to talk but Simon said I had to be polite, so it was short.

Red and white was the colour, Julie in a nice jacket, Simon, Jean and Rob in their albs and red scarf and me? …. I was in my alb and my rainbow scarf, the sign of hope to take out into the rural community, given to me by Janet Dawson on my ordination.  I thank all who sent good wishes from the Riverina, Macquarie - Darling and Mid North Coast and the Moderator but sorry you missed a good start to ministry and a top sermon.

 Simon challenged us to go out - Matthew 28:16-20


.........so the next day I packed the Camry and headed out early Monday morning.

 As I got things ready for a trip to Bourke and beyond I had left doors open for easy packing. I had the boot done and was getting things ready for the esky. Sitting on the seat next to it, BJ looked to say, "Can I come too?" 

BJ looking keen on an earlier trip.
He stayed there for the whole time I fitted the CB and other bits needed for the road trip. He did come out eventually but was not impressed.

 It was time to hit the road, meeting Julie in Walgett then on to Bre to park the Camry for the night at the hotel in their compound, then out in to outback.

 Julie let me drive as she had to connect with some people on phone so I was now driving a 4WD! This is very different to a Camry ( higher off the ground, nice seats ) BUT it does not corner on the black stuff like the Camry.
 Glad she was on the phone! ( Hmmm- brakes respond to a number 11 boot. )

Well, back to the ……we met some wonderful people over the next couple of day In Weil then Bourke and Enngonia. It was great to see the relationships Julie has grown with so many people in these communities- from the Shire to the Post mistress, teachers, artists and talented children.

Does the Church fulfill Christ’s call in Matthew 28: 16-20?
With the help of all of you who support the work of the RMU ( Rural Ministry Unit) in many ways, your gifts go out and make things we take for granted HAPPEN. Your prayers hold and support those who feel the PAIN OF LIFE and for us who get to go, your support and wisdom ground us and bring us home safe and well.

Shalom

PS I found good coffee: The next week was Dubbo and then Synod.  BJ got 10 days in the Narrabri Hilton -I'll let you know if he liked it.

1 comment:

Visitors


View My Stats