Wednesday 21 April 2010

Synod and Sydney and Coffee

Over the last week some five hundred representatives of the Uniting Church in NSW and the ACT gathered at Canterbury Racecourse. The meeting took four days over which a diverse range of issues and topics were discussed and decided by the members of the church.

With such a large gathering there was a lot of diversity in the backgrounds and opinions of the Synod members. I feel that generally whilst the Synod was not particularly controversial the energy was good and people appeared to come together with the expectation of making a way forward for our denomination.

The Sydney Alliance, a growing citizens movement of various civil organisations made its presence felt at the Synod as the Uniting Church is a keen participant in the Alliance.

I am pleased to say that we are walking the walk in regard to building partnerships with other denominations, religious faiths and civil organisations such as trade unions, to make our society a better place for all people.

I was kindly hosted by my colleagues the Rev Gareth Thomas-Burchell and Rev Karyn Burchell-Thomas.
Gareth and Karyn kindly sponsored me at their local coffee shop  to a baristas course where I learnt some of the art of making fine coffee.


Kel Hodge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


View My Stats