Thursday 18 February 2010

Follow up on mental health issues

Julie:

I'm sure people must wonder why we keep talking about mental health issues in the bush or anywhere outside Sydney, but lack of services is very real. Here is a comment that I received to my post on Sunday night and with Julie's permission I have reproduced it for you.


"The services are pretty inadequate in most places.. can't imagine how bad it must be out there in the real bush. Did you know that when you ring the national mental help hotline they take your details etc and then say well someone will get back to you. In my experience lately with ringing regarding my dad it took three days. Admittedly he wasn't in danger, but I rang them for myself a couple of years ago and it took a day and a half. They do tell you to call an ambulance if it is urgent but how many mentally ill people will do that. This issue is huge and mental health needs way more funding. If there is ever anything I can do to help from here pls let me know." Julie Holt, North Coast

Julie's story is not unusual and I very much appreciate her sharing it with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


View My Stats